Susan A. Layne
Strategic Marketing & Internal and External Communications Leader
Creates Integrated Marketing Programs | ICT and IoT Technology Expertise
- Marketing and Communications professional who creates the strategic and tactical plan for global organizations, develops the narrative, storytelling and compelling marketing and communication digital assets to engage customers, increase revenues and strengthen the brand.
- A strong collaborator, team leader and project manager who influences and energizes international cross-functional teams and executes campaigns with speed and accuracy, while ensuring the highest level of quality.
Areas of Expertise
Brand Research | Creative & Technical Content | Storytelling | B2B Marketing | Thought Leadership | Website Content Public Speaking | Customer Engagement | Social Media | Digital Marketing | Email Campaigns | Internal & External Messaging Public Relations | Advertising | Project Management |Product Marketing | Analyst Relations | SEO | Community Advocacy | Data Analytics | Content Strategy | Web Analysis | Community Advocacy
VIRTUAL, Inc./NFC Forum - Wakefield, MA
Director, Marketing Communications 2018 – 2020
Created campaigns to raise education with respect to NFC technology and drive awareness and member engagement for the Near Field Communications (NFC) Forum. Promote the client’s mission, values and messaging. Planned, developed and executed multi-channel marketing programs and performance-driven campaigns, using digital marketing principles and techniques to meet project and organization goals.
- Grew member engagement and participation at industry tradeshows and events by 50%. Influence members to showcase their NFC enabled products, services and solutions.
- Drove a 40% increase in awareness and education of NFC technology throughout the globe by creating compelling thought leadership content and resources such as white papers, webinars, video animations, newsletters, social media and other digital assets.
- Met 100% of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), by developing and launching the new http://www.NFC-Forum.org website on time and within budget. Received accolades from NFC Forum Executive Director and Board of Directors (BoD). Enhanced SEO.
- Spearheaded the development of marketing strategy, plan and digital assets for NFC Forum Special Interest Groups (SIGs)/user groups – IoT, Retail and Payment, Mobility, Identity and Transportation (MIT) and Automotive.
NOKIA (Acquired Alcatel-Lucent) - Westford, MA
Quality Culture and Engagement Internal Communications Senior Manager 2016 to 2018
Raised quality share of voice throughout Nokia and with external stakeholders by creating the messaging, strategic and tactical marketing communications plan and developing a toolkit of marketing resources. Measured and tracked ROI. Created materials to support quality advertising and branding campaigns, ensuring adherence to brand guidelines.
- Developed change management content and messaging with respect to the new Nokia company and culture.
- Developed Quality Culture Survey campaign, survey participation was 30% within 2 ½ weeks of campaign. Communicated survey results through compelling stories, webinars, podcasts and more.
- Project Management and drove all communications for prestigious Nokia Quality Awards™ recognition program for executing with excellence. Utilized various communication channels to achieve record number of quality applications – 271 in 2017.
Quality Internal Communications Senior Manager 2012 to 2015
Created Quality communications, strategic and tactical messaging and plans. Developed all supporting marketing communication assets to enhance share of voice, strengthen the brand and grow revenues. Measured and tracked successes.
- Achieved 90% participation rate for ‘The Alcatel-Lucent Way’ video animation to advertise campaign and drive a Quality and customer-focused culture among all 50k Alcatel-Lucent employees.
- Created on average 2 articles/blogs per month regarding key quality topics such as Cost of Poor Quality, Quality Audits, Lean Six Sigma, Utilizing Best Practices and Continuous Improvement.
Created press tools to increase awareness of Alcatel-Lucent products, services and solutions in Transportation, Energy and Public Sector markets.
- Proactively generate content for press releases, blog, social media to enhance brand awareness of Alcatel-Lucent in the Enterprise segment. Contribute to Enterprise sales growth by 25%.
- Prepared and delivered media statements, Q&A, fact and pitch sheets.
- Primary contact for press, industry analyst, vendors and other constituents. Pitch articles, solicit interviews and place sponsored content.
- Data analytics and media reporting to evaluate and measure performance ROI of content and messaging.
LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES – Westford, MA
Global Partner Marketing Manager 2005 – 2010
Additional Roles at Alcatel-Lucent, Lucent Technologies and AT&T: Global Services Communication Manager; Fixed Access Product Marketing for Subscriber Loop Carrier (SLC) portfolio
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Marketing and Management concentrations
Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Economics and Finance
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA – Cum Laude
Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, HTML, WordPress, WebEx, Go-to-Meeting
SmartGrid News, PowerGrid International
American Marketing Association (AMA)
Information Technology Service Marketing Association (ITSMA)
Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA)