An innovative scientific leader with extensive management experience in the biotech industry with emphasis on developing and validating new molecular biology methods for emerging technologies and adapting these cutting-edge technologies to a variety of uses both in R&D and clinical procedures. A broad range of experience in different company settings ranging from initial startups to multinational companies. Experience in the area of Sales and Marketing with strong interpersonal skills and presentation skills.
Bio-Rad, Inc.,Billerica, MA (acquired RainDance Technologies, February 2017) 2017 – 2018
Director, Genomic Applications
Headed projects centered around Bio-Rad’s bead technology to increase the manufacturing capacity for bead generation and to demonstrate feasibility for bead-based targeted sequencing.
· Led an effort to scale-up the bead manufacturing process for the ddSEQ Single Cell next generation sequencing (NGS) application to meet increasing demand for the product. The new procedure was transferred to Manufacturing and validated for market introduction.
· Headed a project to develop a droplet-based bead delivery technology for targeted sequencing for NGS. Initial feasibility was demonstrated.
RainDance Technologies, Inc., Billerica, MA 2008 – 2017
Director, Genomic Applications
Directed the feasibility, development, optimization, and release of products to the market for multiple applications for the ThunderStorm, ThunderBolts and RainDrop systems which are based on the RainDance proprietary droplet technology
· Developed and released to market targeted NGS sequence enrichment applications including:
§ DNA sequencing.
§ Bisulfite sequencing for methylation analysis.
§ RNA sequencing.
· Developed and released to market RainDrop digital PCR applications including:
§ Multiplexed dPCR assays.
§ High sensitivity copy number detection assay for noninvasive prenatal DNA testing for trisomy.
· Led feasibility demonstrations of new applications using the RainDance droplet technology:
§ Single cell analysis.
§ Linked reads.
§ High sensitivity variant detection using NGS sequence enrichment.
· Responsible for writing and executing development plans to meet application and instrument performance targets along with verification and validation plans for manufacturing and release of product to the market.
· Managed proof of performance and collaboration studies to support the activities of the sales and marketing team and to demonstrate the capabilities of the current applications.
· Managed two bioinformatics scientists responsible for the development of tools necessary for targeted sequencing on NGS instruments.
§ Primer design pipelines for the ThunderStorm and ThunderBolts applications.
§ Pipelines for the analysis of data generated by the targeted DNA application, RNA application, Single Cell and Linked Reads applications
Sequenom, Inc.,Newton, MA 2005 – 2008
Senior Manager, Technology and Applications
Scientific support for the sales and marketing team.
· Traveled with the sales force throughout North America and overseas and delivered seminars at universities and private institutions on the science and technology behind Sequenom’s MassARRAY instrument and applications in the areas of high throughput genotyping, quantitative gene expression, SNP detection and quantitative methylation analysis.
· Identified potential collaboration opportunities of scientific value to Sequenom. Managed the running of collaborations from start to finish including experimental design and data analysis.
· Managed feasibility studies for potential customers including study design and presentation of data.
· Held workshops with existing customers to help them better understand and utilize the MassARRAY instrument and its applications.
· Developed new applications for Sequenom’s MassARRAY platform including copy number detection and low percentage mutation detection in tumor tissue samples.
· Performed market research to evaluate the needs of customers in the areas of genotyping, gene expression and methylation.
Additional Relevant Experience
Exact Sciences Inc., Marlborough, MA
Director, Translational Research
Managed the clinical laboratory, heading laboratory screening and assay development research in the field of molecular diagnostics.
· Supervised Clinical Laboratory screening samples using PreGen-PlusTM stool DNA colorectal cancer assay.
· Supervised Quality Control group producing reagents for PreGen-PlusTM assay for internal/external clients.
· Managed key relationships with outside collaborators.
· Directed research projects across multiple functional groups yielding improved assay performance and cost reduction.
· Developed new DNA markers for 2nd generation stool DNA colorectal cancer assay with improved sensitivity.
· Demonstrated loss of DNA sensitivity due to sample degradation during transport and its subsequent recovery through the addition of a stabilization buffer.
Variagenics/Nuvelo, Inc., Cambridge, MA
Senior Director, Molecular Biology
Directed development and oversaw all phases of Variagenics’ pharmacogenomic screening platforms.
· Senior Member of the Research and Development Operating Committee.
· Played key role in new business development including contract development.
· Managed internal and client pharmacogenomic analysis projects.
· Developed budgets and timelines for major $1 million+ corporate programs.
· Supervised 30 scientists handling, processing and screening patient samples for internal/client projects including:
o Sample Logistics, Assay Development, DNA Sequencing, Genotyping, RNA Expression Analysis and Pathology.
Director of Technology Development
Managed Technology Development Group creating/developing core technologies.
· Invented Nucleave-RETM proprietary second generation mass spectrometry genotyping method.
· Invented proprietary haplotyping technology. Adapted procedure for patient screening.
· Demonstrated initial proof of concept for using mass spectrometry genotyping by chemical cleavage of DNA which led to the NucleaveTM genotyping platform. Participated in product development and commercial launch.
Directed post-acquisition integration of technology and personnel (from Avitech to Variagenics)
· Coordinated efforts between teams adapting T4 endonuclease VII assay for high throughput polymorphism screening.
· Managed high throughput polymorphism discovery group focused on identifying polymorphisms for entry into a proprietary database.
Oversaw multiple projects directed at discovering allele specific cancer therapeutics.
· Instrumental in initial lab set-up including build-out.
· Screened and characterized tumor cells lines homozygous and heterozygous for amino acid polymorphism in thiopurine methyl-transferase gene for growth inhibition drug response.
· Cloned and expressed in bacteria and mammalian cells, various constructs of the transferrin receptor harboring an amino acid polymorphism.
§ The expressed proteins were used in an attempt to generate polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies capable of binding differentially to each allelic form of the transferring receptor causing inhibition of function.
· Established initial polymorphism detection procedure (SSCP) to screen target genes for polymorphisms.
Ares Advanced Technology (Ares Serono, Inc.), Randolph, MA
Headed Endogenous Gene Activation Project.
· Developed technique of using gene targeting through homologous recombination to activate the expression of silent endogenous genes by the insertion of a transcriptionally active promoter 5' of a protein coding region.
· Expressed therapeutically relevant human genes in human cell lines using Endogenous Gene Activation technique.
Angenics, Inc., Cambridge, MA
Oversaw the diagnostic DNA probe project.
· Successfully adapted immunodiagnostic latex bead assay to detect nucleic acid sequences in biological samples.
· Developed proprietary enhanced sensitivity DNA amplification method.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Ph.D. program, Department of Microbiology. Completed all course work and passed Ph.D. qualifying exam.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Bachelor of Science Degree, Biology
Sequenom, Inc. 2007
Outstanding Sales Support Award – Awarded to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the support of sales activity.
RainDance Technologies, Inc. 2014
Eclipse Award - Recognizes outstanding contribution to RainDance through discovery, development or implementation of new technology, science or business practices that meaningfully enhance the customer experience and our future business.
Laurent-Puig, P., Pekin, D., Normand, C., Kotsopoulos, S.K., Nizard, P., Perez Toralla, K., Rowe, R., Olson, J., Srinivasan, P., Le Corre, D., Hor, T., El Harrak, Z., Li, X., Link, D.R., Bouche, O., Emile, J-F., Landi, B., Boige, V., Hutchison, J.B., Taly, V. “Clinical Relevance of KRAS-mutated Sub-clones Detected with Picodroplet Digital PCR in Advanced Colorectal Cancer Treated with anti-EGFR Therapy”, Clinical Cancer Research, 21(5):1087-1097, March 1, 2015
Milbury, C.A., Zhong, Q., Lin, J., Williams, M., Olson, J., Link, D.R., Hutchison J.B., “Determining lower limits of detection of digital PCR assays for cancer-related gene mutations”, Biomolecular Detection and Quantification, 1:8-22, August 20, 2014.
Didelot, A., Kotsopoulos, S.K., Lupo, A., Pekin, D., Li, X., Atochin, I., Srinivasan, P., Zhong, Q., Olson, J., Link, D.R., Laurent-Puig, P., Blons, H., Hutchison, J.B., Taly, V., “Multiplex picoliter-droplet digital PCR for quantitative assessment of DNA integrity in clinical samples”, Clinical Chemistry, 59(5):815-823, May 2013.
Abdou ElSharawy, Jason Warner, Jeff Olson, Michael Forster, Markus B. Schilhabel, Darren Link, Stefan Rose-John, Stefan Schreiber, Philip Rosenstiel, James Brayer and Andre Franke, “Accurate variant detection across non-amplified and whole genome amplified DNA using targeted next generation sequencing”, BMC Genomics, 13(1):500, September 20, 2012.
Karen E. Ocwieja, Scott Sherrill-Mix, Rithun Mukherjee, Rebecca Custers-Allen, Patricia David, Michael Brown, Susana Wang, Darren R. Link, Jeff Olson, Kevin Travers, Eric Schadt and Frederic D. Bushman, “Dynamic regulation of HIV-1 mRNA populations analyzed by single-molecule enrichment and long-read sequencing”, Nucleic Acids Research, 40(20):10345-10355, November 1, 2012.
Olivier Harismendy, Richard B Schwab, Lei Bao, Jeff Olson, Sophie Rozenzhak , Steve K Kotsopoulos, Stephanie Pond, Brian Crain, Mark S Chee, Karen Messer, Darren R Link and Kelly A Frazer, “Detection of low prevalence somatic mutations in solid tumors with ultra-deep targeted sequencing”, Genome Biology, 12(12):R124, December 20, 2011
H. Kiyomi Komori, Sarah A. LaMere, Ali Torkamani, G. Traver Hart, Steve Kotsopoulos, Jason Warner, Michael L. Samuels, Jeff Olson, Steven R. Head, Phillip Ordoukhanian, Pauline L. Lee, Darren R. Link and Daniel R. Salomon, “Application of microdroplet PCR for large-scale targeted bisulfite sequencing”, Genome Research, 21(10):1738-1745, October 21, 2011.
Qun Zhong, Smiti Bhattacharya, Steven Kotsopoulos, Jeff Olson, Valerie Taly, Andrew D. Griffiths,
Darren R. Link and Jonathan W. Larson, “Multiplex digital PCR: breaking the one target per color barrier of quantitative PCR”, Lab Chip, 11(13):2167-2174, July 7, 2011.
Alexander Herrmann, Andrea Haake, Ole Ammerpohl, Idoia Martin-Guerrero, Karol Szafranski, Kathryn Stemshorn, Michael Nothnagel, Steve K. Kotsopoulos, Julia Richter, Jason Warner, Jeff Olson, Darren R. Link, Stefan Schreiber, Michael Krawczak, Matthias Platzer, Peter Nürnberg, Reiner Siebert, Jochen Hampe, “Pipeline for Large-Scale Microdroplet Bisulfite PCR-Based Sequencing Allows the Tracking of Hepitype Evolution in Tumors”, PLoS One, 6(7):e21332, July 5, 2011.
Ryan Tewhey , Jason B Warner, Masakazu Nakano , Brian Libby, Martina Medkova, Patricia H David, Steve K Kotsopoulos, Michael L Samuels, J Brian Hutchison, Jonathan W Larson, Eric J Topol, Michael P Weiner , Olivier Harismendy , Jeff Olson, Darren R Link & Kelly A Frazer “Microdroplet-based PCR enrichment for large-scale targeted sequencing”, Nature Biotechnology, 27(11):1025-1031, November 2009.
Jeff Olson, Duncan H. Whitney, Kristine Durkee and Anthony P. Shuber. “DNA Stabilization is Critical for Maximizing Performance of Fecal DNA Based Colorectal Cancer Tests”, Diagnostic Molecular Pathology, 14(3): 183-191, September 2005.
Wei-Dong Chen , Z. James Han , Joel Skoletsky , Jeff Olson , Jerome Sah , Lois Myeroff , Petra Platzer , Shilong Lu , Dawn Dawson , Joseph Willis , Theresa P. Pretlow , James Lutterbaugh , Lakshmi Kasturi , James K. V. Willson , J. Sunil Rao ,
Anthony Shuber , Sanford D. Markowitz, “Detection in Fecal DNA of Colon Cancer – Specific Methylation of the Nonexpressed Vimentin Gene”, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 97(15):1124-1132, August 3, 2005.
Steven Hecht Orzack, Daniel Gusfield, Jeff Olson, Steven Nesbitt, Lakshman Subrahmanyan,Vincent P. Stanton, Jr., “Analysis and Exploration of the Use of Rule-Based Algorithms and Consensus Methods for the Inferral of Haplotypes”, Genetics, 165(2): 915-928, October, 2003.
Jia Liu Wolfe, Tomohiko Kawate, David A. Sarracino, Martin Zillmann, Jeffrey Olson, Vincent P. Stanton, Jr., and Gregory L. Verdine, "A Genotyping Strategy Based on Incorporation and Cleavage of Chemically Modified Nucleotides", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 99(17):11073-11078, August 20, 2002.
Ann E. Ferentz and Jeff Olson. “Using Haplotyping for Drug-Response Markers. Tutorial: Identifying Genetic Markers Associated with Drug Response.” Genetic Engineering News, 22(6):34-39, March 15, 2002
Anneloor L. M. A. Ten Asbroek, Jeffrey Olson, David Housman, Frank Baas and Vince Stanton, Jr., “Genetic Variation in mRNA Coding Sequences of Highly Conserved Genes”, Physiological Genomics 5(3):113-118, April, 2001.
James P. Basilion, Andrea R. Schievella, Erica Burns, Patrice Rioux, Jeffrey C. Olson, Brett P. Monia, Kristina M. Lemonidis, Vincent P. Stanton, Jr. and David E. Housman. “Selective Killing of Cancer Cells Based on Loss of Heterozygosity and Normal Variation in the Human Genome: A New paradigm for Anticancer Drug Therapy”, Molecular Pharmacology, 56(2): 359-369, August, 1999.
“Compositions and Methods for Molecular Labeling”, Michael Samuels, Jeffrey Charles Olson, Andrew Watson, Keith Brown, Darren Roy Link, Patent No. 9,150,852, Issued October 6, 2015.
“Digital Analyte Analysis”, Jeffrey Olson, Darren R. Link, Patent No. 9,228,229, Issued January 5, 2016.
“Methods for Genetic Analysis of DNA to Detect Sequence Variances”, Jeffrey Olson, Martin Zillmann and Vincent Stanton, Patent No. 8,129,120, Issued March 6, 2012.
“Restriction Enzyme Genotyping”, Jeffrey Olson, Martin Zillmann and Vincent Stanton, Patent No. 7,435,541, Issued October 14, 2008
“Method for Identifying Polymorphisms”, Vince P. Stanton, Jr., Jia Liu Wolfe, Tomohiko Kawate, Gregory L. Verdine, Jeffrey Olson and Colin Dykes, Patent No. 6,825,009, Issued November 30, 2004.
“Genotyping by Mass Spectrometric Analysis of Allelic Fragments”, Vincent P. Stanton, Jr., Jeffrey Olson, Jia Liu Wolfe, and Martin Zillmann, Patent No. 6,777,188, Issued August 17, 2004.
“Methods for Genetic Analysis of DNA Using Biased Amplification of Polymorphic Sites”, Jeffrey Olson, Martin Zillmann, and Vincent Stanton, Patent No. 6,475,736, Issued November 5, 2002.